The magic from the previous night’s Kinfolk dinner still hadn’t worn off when I woke up this morning. Not one bit.
I wolfed down some shiitake mushrooms, white beans, and couscous then trooped to my aunt’s house to ask her about the scrumptious crostinis she made last night.
“I was actually overcome with panic when I got my assignment,” she said, “I had absolutely no idea what a crostini was!”
After consulting trusty Mr. Google, she decided to go with bacon and egg crostinis.
Her biggest problem though was the avocado which wasn’t in season. Fortunately, she was able to score some after making the rounds at the local markets.
The recipe she found on Cooking & Beer also called for cilantro (wansoy) but none of the sellers seemed to know what it was so my aunt used rosemary instead.
My aunt also made a few tweaks here and there. Here’s her version:
Cleo Jean’s Bacon and Egg Crostini with Roasted Garlic Aioli and Avocado
- 1 French baguette
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 strips of bacon
- 3 eggs, hardboiled, shells removed and sliced thinly
- ½ cup of mayo
- 4 cloves of garlic, roasted and smashed
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- zest from 4 lemons
- salt and pepper
- 2 semi-ripe avocados, skins and pits removed, cubed
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and lay bacon strips on top. Bake at 350 for about 10-15 minutes. Remove from oven and transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to degrease.
- Slice your baguette into ¼ inch slices and brush each side with olive oil. Place on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for about 7-10 minutes or until golden.
- Prepare the aioli. In a small bowl, combine the mayo, garlic, lemon juice, zest, salt and pepper to taste. Whisk together until completely combined then refrigerate until you are ready to use.
- Cut bacon into 1-inch strips then combine bacon, avocado, lime juice, fresh cilantro, and a dash of salt in a bowl.
- Assemble your crostini. First, top the slices of baguette with the aioli. Then place the rest of the ingredients on the crostini in the following order: egg slice, bacon and avocado mixture.
- Garnish with rosemary and serve immediately.